PHP – one of the most widely spoken languages in the development of web applications. PHP actively and in many ways is gradually getting better. One of the major steps of its development is the appearance of MVC-frameworks designed to systematize the process of developing web applications. Zend Framework is a free framework for PHP to develop web applications and web services.
Zend is trying to follow the spirit of PHP, provides a simple interface and powerful functionality for application development. It provides extensions to build modern, fast and secure sites. It is based on the ideas of MVC.
Zend Framework has the following characteristics:
• All components written in fully object-oriented PHP 5 code and E_STRICT are compatible;
• Architecture of a “weak bind” with minimal dependencies between parts of the project;
• Extandable realization of MVC, supports by default layouts and PHP-templates;
• Give support for a large number of databases, including MariaDB, MySQL, Oracle, IBM DB2, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, SQLite and Informix Dynamic Server;
• Formation, sending and receiving e-mails on protocols mbox, Maildir, POP3 and IMAP4;
• Flexible caching with support of various types in memory or in the file system.
By the way, Zend Framework is a class library on which applications are based according to certain rules. It is worth mentioning that the use of class libraries significantly reduce the time to develop an application by using a previously created and adjusted code. And also important, that this code can be modified by using the imitation mechanism. Zend Framework developers have implemented a set of classes that let realize common tasks facing web – programmer. For example: database access, authentication mechanisms, caching, and so on. Moreover, they did not forget about the safety of these methods.
The main criterion for Zend Framework – simplicity, used the best techniques of object oriented programming, friendly license, and well-tested quickly executable code. The main accent in Zend Framework is made on the possibility of building a well-protected, reliable, and modern Web 2.0 applications and Web – services and all-consuming widely available API – functions of the leading teams in this field such as Google, Amazon, Yahoo !, Flickr.
What is good in Zend Framework for a client who wants a website or web application?
• Doing a project based on Zend Framework, you save time on testing and adjusting a script, because to this framework there are a large number of ready established and proven solutions;
• Since Zend Framework is not handwritten CMS (Content Management System) so to support the project to another programmer will be a lot easier. This means that you will not be tied to only one developer, so if you do not like the speed, quality execution of your project, you can safely change your developer;
• Using Zend Framework will be more stable for default project under high loads;
• The script is easier to modify and add modules, the main task of the design is solved by the system flexibility;
• Using Zend Framework, you get a well-designed application, a large number of established solutions. This will reduce time of project development and provide an opportunity to get “quick start”.
Zend Framework is undoubtedly standard development of serious applications based on PHP.